In this episode, Marissa talks with independent Milton scholar Dr. Philippa Earle about monism in book 5 of Paradise Lost.Here are some resources to support your listening:
- Animist materialism
- Kevin J. Donovan and Thomas Festa, eds. Milton, Materialism, and Embodiment: One First Matter All. Pittsburgh, PA: Duquesne University Press, 2017.
- Philippa Earle. “‘Till Body Up to Spirit Work’: Maimonidean Prophecy and Monistic Sublimation in Paradise Regained.” Milton Studies 62 (2020): 159–189.
- Steve M. Fallon. Milton Among the Philosophers: Poetry and Materialism in Seventeenth-Century England. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1991.
- Charlotte Nicholl. “Body Out of Spirit: Medical Science and the Creation of Living Soul in Paradise Lost.” Milton Studies 57 (2016): 119-153.
- John Rogers. The Matter of Revolution: Science, Poetry, and Politics in the Age of Milton. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1996.
- John Rumrich and Stephen M. Fallon, eds. Immortality and the Body in the Age of Milton. Cambridge: University of Cambridge Press, 2018.
- N. K. Sugimura “Matter of Glorious Trial”: Spiritual and Material Substance in “Paradise Lost.” New Haven: Yale University Press, 2009.
Contact Dr. Earle by email: firstname.lastname@example.org; and follow her on Twitter: @uncouthswain!
[Episode music courtesy of http://www.bensound.com]