In this episode, Marissa talks with Dr. Angelica Duran (Purdue University) about creation in book 7 of Paradise Lost.
Here are some resources to support your listening:
- The four-fold way of biblical interpretation: literal, allegorical, tropological, anagogical
- Hexameron: the six days of creation
Editions and Images:
- Two open-access editions of the 1611 edition of the King James Version (KJV)/Authorized Version (AU): http://www.biblegateway.org and https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/1611-Bible/
- John Milton’s family Bible (at the British Library).
- William Blake’s “The Ancient of Days” (1794) (at the British Museum).
- Robert Hooke’s Micrographia, with foldout images (at the University of Reading).
Selection of Dr. Duran’s scholarship:
- (Editor) The King James Bible: Across Borders and Centuries. Pittsburgh, PA: Duquesne University Press. 2014.
- The Age of Milton and the Scientific Revolution. Pittsburgh, PA: Duquesne University Press, 2007.
- Milton Among the Spaniards. Newark, DE: University of Delaware Press, 2020.
- “Not Either-Or but Rather Both-And: Using Both Material and Electronic Resources.” Teaching Early Modern English Literature from the Archives, edited by Heidi Brayman Hackel and Ian Frederick Moulton. New York: Modern Language Association of America, 2015. 162-170.
[Episode music courtesy of http://www.bensound.com]